Facts about blood needs
4 Crore units of blood is need every year in India and only 40 lakhs units are available.
Blood has no substitute.
Every two seconds someone needs blood.
Above 38,000 blood donations are needed everyday.
Type O is the most commonly requested blood group.
Facts about the blood donation process
- You need not worry about safety during blood donation as the process includes only sterile needle and will be discarded after that.
- Process includes only 4 process - Registration, Medical history and mini-physical, Donation and Refreshments.
- Mini-physical includes checking the donor's temperature, blood pressure, pulse and hemoglobin to make sure that the donor is suitable to donate.
- The actual blood donation process takes only 10-12 minutes but from the time you enter into a camp and leave the camp will take around one hour.
- Only one unit for blood is taken from 10 units present in the body.
- A healthy donor may donate red blood cells every 56 days, or double red cells every 112 days.
- A healthy donor may donate platelets as few as 7 days apart, but a maximum of 24 times a year.
- The donated blood will be tested for HIV, hepatitis B and C, syphilis and other infectious diseases before it can be transfused to patients.
Facts about donors
- The main reason for donating blood is to help others.
- People who do not donate blood have two reasons 1) Never thought about it 2) I don't like needles.
- One donation can save upto 3 people.
- If begin to date blood at the age of 18 and donate blood for every 90 days, by the time you reach 60, you would have donated 30 gallons of blood, which can save upto 500 lives.
- Only a 7 percent of people in India have O-ve. O-negative blood donors are universal donors and the blood can be transfused to all types of blood group.
- 35 %of people have Type O (positive or negative) blood.
World Blood Donors Day - June 14th
National Blood Donation Day – October 1st (India)